Unified Development Ordinance (UDO)
The purpose of the Unified Development Ordinance (PDF) is to protect the
- public health,
- and general welfare
of the citizens and landowners of Currituck County; and to implement the policies and objectives of county-adopted plans addressing the county’s growth and development.
Currituck County current Unified Development Ordinance was last amended on January 13, 2020.
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 – General Provisions (PDF)
- Chapter 2 – Administration (PDF)
- Chapter 3 – Zoning Districts (PDF)
- Chapter 4 – Use Standards (PDF)
- Chapter 5 – Development Standards (PDF)
- Chapter 6 – Subdivision and Infrastructure Standards (PDF)
- Chapter 7 – Environmental Protection Standards
- Chapter 8 – Nonconformities (PDF)
- Chapter 9 – Enforcement (PDF)
- Chapter 10 – Definitions and Measurements (PDF)
Unified Development Ordinance Text Amendments
The following ordinances have recently been adopted by the Board of Commissioners but have not yet been incorporated into the published Unified Development Ordinance.
- PB 20-01 McDonald’s Corporation
Request for a text amendment to the Unified Development Ordinance, Chapter 5. Development Standards, and Chapter 10. Definitions, to allow the installation of fully electronic menu board signs associated with drive through lanes.
Adopted: March 2, 2019
- PB 18-28 Curtis Bay Medical Waste
Request for a text amendment to the Unified Development Ordinance, Chapter 4: Use Standards and Chapter 10: Definitions and Measurement to allow warehousing and distribution of medical waste with a use permit in the Heavy Industrial (HI) zoning district.
Adopted: February 3, 2020
The administrative manual (PDF) is intended to assist in the administration of the Unified Development Ordinance. The manual consolidates information in the development review process and helps applicants understand the procedures and requirements. In an effort to ease the review process, the manual also includes:
- application forms,
- review checklists,
- and submittal and fee schedules.
NOTICE: The Administrative Manual is currently being updated for the following:
- Chapter 2 – Procedures and Applications
- Chapter 3 – Appendices
- All links within the manual.
Please reference the updated applications or call Planning & Community Development 252-232-3055 for additional information.
The stormwater manual (PDF) is intended to provide guidance in appropriate BMP selection, design criteria to meet stormwater regulations, and proper BMP maintenance. The manual also includes:
- required forms,
- submittal checklists for stormwater plans,
- and guidance for determining runoff rates.
*Note: the items under the Design Checklists is in Excel.