The purpose of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) is to protect the
- public health,
- and general welfare
of the citizens and landowners of Currituck County; and to implement the policies and objectives of county-adopted plans addressing the county’s growth and development.
Currituck County current Unified Development Ordinance was last amended on March 5, 2018.
- Table of Amendments
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 – General Provisions
- Chapter 2 – Administration
- Chapter 3 – Zoning Districts
- Chapter 4 – Use Standards
- Chapter 5 – Development Standards
- Chapter 6 – Subdivision and Infrastructure Standards
- Chapter 7 – Environmental Protection Standards
- Chapter 8 – Nonconformities
- Chapter 9 – Enforcement
- Chapter 10 – Definitions and Measurements
Unified Development Ordinance Text Amendments
The following ordinances have recently been adopted by the Board of Commissioners but have not yet been incorporated into the published Unified Development Ordinance.
- PB 18-15 Eagle Creek Golf Club-&-Grill
Text amendment to the Unified Development Ordinance, Chapter 5. Development Standards, to modify off-premise directional sign standards.Adopted: August 6, 2018
- PB 18-17 Jay Winslow-Jason Graham
Text amendment to the Unified Development Ordinance Chapter 4: Use Standards, to allow an automotive paint/body shop in the General Business Zoning District.Adopted: August 6, 2018
- PB 18-10 Clifford C. Byrum Jr.
Text amendment to modify the Unified Development Ordinance, Chapter 10. Definitions and Measurements, regarding the craft distillery definition to regulate the use by production volume instead of building size.Adopted: June 4, 2018
- PB 18-11 Julie Christian
Text amendment to modify the Unified Development Ordinance, Chapter 10. Definitions and Measurements, to allow cosmetic tattooing in the General Business Zoning District.Adopted: June 4, 2018
- PB 18-12 Currituck – Sign Illumination
Text amendment submitted by the Currituck County Planning and Community Development Department to update Chapter 5: Development Standards, Subsection 5.12.7: Signs, to clarify illumination of signs.Adopted: May 21, 2018
The administrative manual is intended to assist in the administration of the Unified Development Ordinance. The manual consolidates information in the development review process and helps applicants understand the procedures and requirements. In an effort to ease the review process, the manual also includes:
- application forms,
- review checklists,
- and submittal and fee schedules.
The stormwater manual is intended to provide guidance in appropriate BMP selection, design criteria to meet stormwater regulations, and proper BMP maintenance. The manual also includes:
- required forms,
- submittal checklists for stormwater plans,
- and guidance for determining runoff rates.
*Note: the items under the Design Checklists is in Excel.