Senior Events & Trips
Events & Classes
“Intro to Pickle ball” Class
On Thursday’s at 9:00 a.m. in July join Don & Mickey Bunn to learn more about Pickle Ball. Come out and learn the basics! Build skill and confidence in playing one of the fastest growing sports amongst folks of all ages!
Deadline to sign up is Tuesday, July 10, 2018!
Classes will be held on July 12, July 19 and July 26.
Matter of Balance Class
Tuesday’s August 7 to September 25, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Matter of Balance is a 8 week Evidence-Based Fall Prevention class focusing on reducing fear of falling and increasing activity levels among older adults.
The goals of the is to:
- view falls and fear of falling as controllable
- set realistic goals for increasing activity
- change your environment to reduce fall risk factors
- and increase strength/balance through exercises.
Class will consist of:
- group discussions,
- skill building,
- assertiveness training,
- exercise training,
- practical solutions
- and learning to shift from negative to positive thinking.
Class will be taught by Ashley Lamb, Aging Program Specialist with the Albemarle Commission Area agency on Aging.
Deadline to sign up at the Senior Center is Friday, July 27, 2018!
Save The Date...
stay tuned for more information to follow on these exciting events.
- Annual Sock Hop – Friday, August 31, 2018
- Senior Health & Wellness Day – Wednesday, September 12, 2018
- Volunteer Banquet (by invitation only) – Friday, September 28, 2018
- Annual Senior Craft Fair – Saturday, November 17, 2018
- Senior Christmas Party – Wednesday, December 19, 2018
Trip to Historic Savannah, Georgia
On Wednesday, December 5 to Friday, December 7, 2018 join us for a trip to Historic Savannah, Georgia. See thousands of twinkling lights decorating River Street, a shining Christmas Tree in Forsyth Park and city squares adorned with fresh evergreens and red bows. Savannah is a scene come alive from an old-time Victorian Christmas Card.
Your 3 day/2 night trip includes:
- 2 breakfasts
- 2 dinners, including a dinner at a Restaurant on the beautiful Savannah River Front
- Holiday Trolley Tour with stops at the historic Isaiah Davenport House and Savannahs
- Decorated Westin Resort with the area’s largest Gingerbread Village
- Guided Bus & Walking Tour of Historic Savannah experiencing over 270 years of rich history from before the Civil War to present times. See the beautiful historic district with lovely squares, fountains and gorgeous Southern-style homes.
- The Savannah Historic Theater “A Christmas Tradition”, an amazing show that brings Christmas to life with holiday glitz and glitter.
- Holiday Shopping along the famous River Street
- Visit to Byrd’s Famous Cookies.
Cost: $369.00 per person/double occupancy; Single rate is $449.00
$100.00 deposit per person is due by Friday, August 10.
Optional: Travel protection insurance $51.00 per person/double occupancy.