Currituck Citizen’s Academy
The Currituck County Citizen’s Academy provides an opportunity for county residents and property owners to learn about their local government. It is intended to provide an in-depth look at many functions of county departments, as well as the management and budgetary procedures of the county as a whole. The class will meet once per week during April and May, with each session focusing on specific county departments and services.
Class sessions will be held at various county facilities to allow citizens a look at county work spaces as well as the technology and equipment used by staff. The Citizen’s Academy is free and the class size will be limited to 15 participants. The course will culminate with a final session that includes recognition at a Board of Commissioners meeting.
The spring Citizen’s Academy will be based at county facilities on the mainland section of the county. In the fall, a second Citizen’s Academy will be held in Corolla. Information and dates for the fall Citizen’s Academy will be posted in the near future.
*Thank you for your interest. Registration for the Spring Academy is NOW FULL.
Spring Class Schedule – Each class session will be 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (*Exception: June 1)
- April 2: County Manager, Budget, Public Information (meet in Historic Courthouse)
- April 9: Attorney, Planning, Inspections (Historic Courthouse)
- April 16: Engineering, Capital Projects, Utilities (Water Plant)
- April 23: Economic Development, Airport, Tourism (Aviation & Technical Training Center)
- April 30: Senior Center, Parks & Recreation (Currituck Senior Center)
- May 7: Cooperative Extension, Social Services (Cooperative Extension)
- May 14: Elections, Tax, Register of Deeds (Judicial Center)
- May 21: Public Safety I – Sheriff, Emergency Medical Services (meeting site TBD)
- May 28: Public Safety II – Emergency Management, 911 Communications (Historic Courthouse)
- June 1: Graduation (Historic Courthouse) *This final session will begin with a 5:00 p.m. meeting with Commissioners, followed by a brief graduation ceremony during the Board’s regular public meeting at 6:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact Randall Edwards, Public Information Officer, at 252-232-0719.