Permits & Inspections
Public access to County offices will remain on an appointment only basis. Permit Offices will have a drop box located at the door for customers to drop off permit applications for permits while County offices remained closed to the public.
If you need to meet with a Community Development staff member we ask that you schedule an appointment.
- Mainland – 252-232-3378
- Corolla – 252-453-8555
The duties and responsibilities of the Permit & Inspections Division, and of the inspectors in it, are to enforce within the county’s territorial jurisdiction state and local laws, and local ordinances and regulations relating to:
- The construction of buildings;
- The installation of such facilities as plumbing systems, electrical systems, heating systems, refrigeration systems, and air-conditioning systems;
- The maintenance of buildings in a safe, sanitary, and healthful condition;
- Other matters that may be specified by the board of commissioners.
These duties and responsibilities include:
- Receiving applications for permits and issuing or denying permits;
- Making necessary inspections, issuing or denying certificates of compliance;
- Issuing orders to correct violations;
- Bringing judicial actions against actual or threatened violations;
- Keeping adequate records;
- Taking any other actions that may be required to adequately enforce the laws, ordinances, and regulations. The board of commissioners may enact reasonable and appropriate provisions governing the enforcement of the laws,ordinances and regulations.