The N.C. State Board of Elections has established a special election to select the replacement of Walter Jones as the U.S. House Representative for District 3. Important dates are as follows:
Voter registration deadline – April 5.
- Voters who wish to change their party affiliation must also do so by the voter registration deadline. In the Primary Election, voters are required to vote the ballot of the party they are registered with. Unaffiliated voters may choose their ballot when they present to vote. To check your voter registration, visit. www.ncsbe.gov or call the Board of Elections office at 252-232-2525.
Primary Election – April 30
- Absentee-by-mail voting begins March 15. Absentee ballots must be returned to the Board of Elections by Election Day.
- One-Stop early voting may be done at the Currituck Board of Elections office. The One-Stop voting period will be April 10 – 26. The hours are as follows: Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. On Saturday, April 13 and Saturday, April 20, the hours will be 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Voters who are not registered by the April 5 deadline may register and vote during the One-Stop voting period.
- On April 30, all voting precincts will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. for the Primary Election.
- List of candidates who have filed for the Primary Election.
General Election – July 9
- Absentee-by-mail voting begins May 24.
- One-Stop voting period will be June 19 – July 6.
- On July 9, all voting precincts will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
*(If a Second Primary Election is needed, that will be held on July 9 and the General Election would then be moved to September 10.)
Locally, the Currituck County Board of Elections was appointed in February. The members are:
B. Gary McGee (D), Chair
Alex Gottschalk (D)
Karen Ish (R)
Susan Johnson (D)
Alice Malesky (R)
For more information, contact the Currituck County Board of Elections at 252-232-2525.