Local citizens may be eligible to receive financial help with water and heating bills through two programs offered by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) and the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) each provide a one-time payment to help low-income households afford their utility bills.
For more information and assistance with applying for financial aid, contact the Currituck County Department of Social Services at 252-232-3083.
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program:
- If your water or wastewater services have been cut off or if you have received notice that your services are in danger of being cut off because your bill is past due, you may be eligible.
- Households that currently receive Food and Nutrition Services (FNS), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Work First services, or those that received Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) services between Oct. 1, 2020, and Sept. 30, 2021, are automatically eligible to receive this benefit.
- If your water has been cut off, or if you have received a notice that your water is going to be cut off, you can apply online at https://epass.nc.gov beginning December 1, 2021.
- Beginning Jan. 1, 2022, all households who need help paying their water bill can apply for assistance if they meet the eligibility requirements. LIHWAP runs through September 30, 2023 or until funds are exhausted.
Low Income Energy Assistance Program:
- Households including a person aged 60 or older or disabled persons receiving services through the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services are eligible to sign up for assistance from December 1 – 31.
- All other households may apply from January 1 – March 31 or until funds are exhausted.
- Contact the Department of Social Services, 252-232-3083, for information on eligibility requirements.
- You can apply online at https://epass.nc.gov.