Beach Parking Permit
Beach goers who wish to park on Currituck County’s 4-wheel drive beach during the summer are required to have a county-issued beach parking permit displayed on their motor vehicle.
The permit system will be effective from the Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Key provisions in the policy include:
- County residents and property owners may receive 2 free parking permits for each property they own by providing proof of residency/ownership within Currituck County.
- Persons owning on the off road area north of the North Beach Access Ramp whose property contains a house may obtain 2 additional permits at no fee.
- All others must pay a fee for a beach parking permit. These permits will be available for purchase from the Tourism Department on a 10-Day temporary or seasonal basis. Fees will be $50 for a 10-day parking pass (valid for 10 consecutive days) and $150 for a Seasonal pass.
NOTE: Long term renters will need to contact their landlords.
The permit system does not apply to:
- county vehicles
- emergency vehicles
- any government agency conducting beach restoration
- scientific research
- animal protection
- commercial fishermen
- outdoor tour operators when actively engaging in a tour
- or hunters who are using state or federal land located within the Currituck Outer Banks.
Types of Parking Permits
Seasonal – This permit is assigned to a specific vehicle and is good for the entire vacation season. Seasonal permits are available to purchase for $150.
10-Day – This permit is available for purchase ($50) by individuals who want to park on the four-wheel drive beach but are not Currituck County residents or property owners. This permit is assigned to a specific vehicle and is valid for a consecutive, 10-day term.
Resident/Owner – This seasonal permit is available at no fee to Currituck County residents and property owners.
Beach Parking Permitting Process
The ONLY way to receive your permit(s) is to visit one of our centers. The county will not mail permit(s).
Permits can be picked up between 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Sunday through Saturday.
- Pick up your permit at one of our centers. Make payment (if required) and pick-up your permit(s).
- Methods of payment accepted are:
- Credit Card
- Exact Cash
To purchase your parking permits in advance using PayPal, select your option below. Bring your receipt with you when you arrive to pick up your permit(s).Seasonal Beach Parking Pass10 Day Beach Parking Pass
For questions regarding picking up permits in Corolla or Moyock please contact one of the following:
- Damaged permits can be returned to the County for replacement. Lost or stolen permits will not be replaced.
Rules for Driving On The Beach
- Speed limit on the beach is 35 mph
- Within 300 feet of any person, the speed limit is 15 mph
- Watch for pedestrians, especially children
- Be alert around the wild horses and other wildlife
- Park vehicles in middle of beach strand
- Watch for lane shifts
- Vehicles are required to use driving lanes adjacent to the dune line between Milepost 14.5 and Milepost 17
- Tire air pressure should be
- 20 pounds per square inch (PSI) for SUV’s and 1/2 ton 4X4
- 35 pounds per square inches (PSI) for 3/4 ton 4X4
- Air up pressure stations are located at the Corolla Historic Park.
For additional information…
Updated May 12, 2020