Currituck County Regional Airport, KONX, (formerly 9W7) dates back to World War II. The Federal Bureau of Public Roads developed the airport for the United States Army Air Force in 1942.
The airstrip consisted of a concrete runway 4,000 feet long by 150 feet wide.
The facility was abandoned after the war by the military and was turned over to the State of North Carolina by the War Assets Administration (WAA). In 1972 the county agreed to lease the airport and adjacent property from the state. In later years Currituck County took over airport operations. Currituck County Regional Airport has experienced a constant increase in commercial as well as general aviation operations as well as aircraft based at the field. The military continues to use the base for training.
Today, the Currituck County Regional Airport is a public-use airfield that accommodates small general aviation aircraft, military aircraft, and business jets such as Challengers, Citations, and Gulfstreams.