Permits & Inspections
Questions & Answers

  • What Building Code does Currituck County enforce?

    Currituck County enforces the North Carolina State Building Code, which is the 2012 International Building Code with North Carolina Amendments. For further information, contact the Building Inspector’s office or the Department of Insurance at 919-647-0000. The state building codes are also available online at North Carolina Department of Insurance. Due to Currituck County’s location in a 120 mph wind zone, the requirements of Chapter 45 of the NC Residential Code for 1 & 2 Family Dwellings will apply.

  • Are there special requirements for windows/doors in Currituck County?

    Yes. All windows, exterior doors, and overhead garage doors must meet a minimum design pressure or DP rating. Design Pressure (DP) ratings are determined by the mean roof height of the structure. Information on minimum design pressure ratings is located in Chapter 45, Table 4002 (A) and 4002(B) of the NC State Residential Building Code (2012 International Residential Building Code with North Carolina Amendments).

  • What type of inspections will be required for my building permit?

    This will vary, depending on the type of permit being applied for. For this information, please refer to the Inspection Procedure Handout which is available at the building permit offices on the Mainland and Corolla.

    Inspections must be scheduled one working day in advance, by 4:00 p.m. This can be done in person at either of the building permit offices listed below or by calling and leaving the required information on the inspection scheduling mailbox.

  • Do I have to be present for the inspections?

    While it is not always required that someone be present at the inspections, it is always better to have someone on the jobsite, to whom the Building Inspector can explain the inspection report. The inspector must have access to all areas that must be inspected. Owners acting as their own general contractor must be present at all inspections unless plans are sealed by a North Carolina design professional.

    To find out approximately what time your inspection will occur, you may contact the building permit offices after 8:30 a.m., for a two (2) hour window of time that the inspector will be at the jobsite. Please note this time is only an approximate time, given as a courtesy, and is subject to change.

  • What types of projects require a building permit?

    The North Carolina State Building Code states, “No person, firm or corporation shall erect, construct, enlarge, install, alter, repair, move improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure, or service system without first obtaining a permit for such from the inspections department having jurisdiction.”

    • Single family dwellings
    • Manufactured homes (modulars, mobile homes)
    • Additions
    • Accessory structures (garages, carports, sheds, pools, hot tubs, piers, platforms, beach accessways, etc.)
    • Bulkheads
    • Chimney/Woodstove
    • Alterations in excess of $15,000 and/or any work classified as structural or load bearing


    Exclusion for Certain Minor Activities in Residential and Farm Structures

    No permit shall be required under the Code or any local variance thereof approved under subsection (e) for any construction, installation, repair, replacement, or alteration performed in accordance with the current edition of the North Carolina State Building Code and costing fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) or less in any single family residence or farm building unless the work involves any of the following:

    1. The addition, repair, or replacement of load bearing structures. However, no permit is required for replacements of windows, doors, exterior siding, or the pickets, railings, stair treads, and decking of porches and exterior decks that otherwise meet the requirements of this subsection.
    2. The addition or change in the design of plumbing. However, no permit is required for replacements otherwise meeting the requirements of this subsection that do not change size or capacity.
    3. The addition, replacement or change in the design of heating, air conditioning, or electrical wiring, appliances, or equipment.
    4. The use of materials not permitted by the North Carolina Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings.
    5. The addition (excluding replacement) of roofing.


    Commercial requires a permit.

  • Do I need a permit to erect a tent on my property?

    Yes, a tent permit is required.

  • Do I need a permit to move a structure?

    Yes, a moving permit is required to relocate a structure on the same property or to move a structure from one parcel to another.

  • Do I need a permit to demolish a building on my property?

    Yes, a demolition permit is required to tear down a building. The Health Hazards Control Unit (HHCU) of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health, must be notified of plans to demolish a building, including residences demolished for commercial or industrial expansion. Notification of demolition is required by law even if no asbestos is present in the building.

    Health Hazards Control Unit (HHCU), 1912 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1912


  • Can I build my own house?

    Yes, if the construction exceeds $30,000 you certify that: 

    • You are not allowing an unlicensed general contractor to perform the duties of a general contractor.
    • You intend to retain the finished house exclusively for your own use.
    • You schedule every inspection.
    • You are not building a speculation project with intent to sell once completed.
    • You will comply with all county, state, and federal laws in regard to social security, worker’s compensation, privilege license, and all other requirements where applicable.
  • When will my building permit expire?

    Building permits expire six (6) months after issuance if no construction has commenced. Work must continue until the project is complete. The permit will expire if work stops for more than 12 months.

  • Do I need a permit for a farm building?

    A building permit is not required to construct a bona fide farm building used for farm purposes. A bona fide farm statement must be submitted to the division to determine if your farming operation qualifies as a bona fide farm.

    Electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or insulation work to a farm building requires trade permits.