Geographic Information Services (GIS) is a division of the Currituck County Information Technology Services (ITS) Department.
The primary purpose of the Geographic Information Services division is to maintain the County’s Geographic Information System, a computer-assisted information system to collect, store, manipulate, and display spatial (geographic) data within the context of an organization, with the purpose of functioning as a decision support system.
In addition, the GIS division provides geographic data, mapping, and related services to County departments, citizens, internet users, private businesses, and various County boards, commissions, and committees. View the Currituck County GIS brochure.
Responsibilities of the Geographic Information Services (GIS)
- Collects, creates, and maintains geographic data in a digital format for use by County departments
- Provides mapping services and technical support to all County departments
- Creates maps and/or display graphics for various County-sponsored projects
- Provides software and training to County employees on the use of geographic data as a decision-making tool
- Provides geographic data to the public through pre-made products such as compact disks or hard-copy maps
- Manages various projects for the collection or procurement of geographic data
- Maintains the computer system and all ancillary hardware such as plotters, scanners, printers, Global Positioning System (GPS) unit, etc.
- Assigns addresses and approves street names