Register of Deeds
The Register of Deeds is elected by the people and serves a four-year term.
During office hours citizens can come to the office and search public.
Responsibilities of the Register of Deeds
- records, indexes, and preserves all real estate and business related documents that are presented for registration.
- marriage licenses
- certified birth records
- certified death records
- offers on-site information and instructions on how to search for records
- provides certified true copies of any documents on record for a fee
Helpful Terms To Know
- Deed: A signed and usually sealed instrument containing some legal transfer, bargain, or contract.
- Conveyance: The transfer of title to real property from one person to another.
- Plat: A scale-sized drawing of parcels or lots of land. Created by a survey, a plat defines a property’s size and boundaries.
- Title Search: A comprehensive research process which analyzes property status information, including ownership, liens, deeds, mortgages, and history.