Currituck County Currituck County Image

Q. When are Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes Due?
A. Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes are due September 1st.

Q. When should taxes be paid to avoid interest?
A: To avoid having to pay interest, you must pay on or before January 5th.

Q. What is the interest after January 5th to January 31st?
A. The interest rate after January 5th until January 31st is 2% interest on the balance and 3/4% interest each month thereafter.

Q. What if I don't receive a tax bill?
A. A bill is generated and mailed for payment each year. You are responsible for payment even if you do not receive the bill. There are three common reasons for not receiving a bill:

  • We do not have your correct address. Please make sure that you keep your address information current.
  • Your tax bill was lost in the mail.
  • If your property was purchased after January 1, the bill goes to the owner as of the first of the year.

Q. When taxes are delinquent, can you make payment arrangements?
A. Yes, but the arrangements have to be kept in order to avoid other collection action.

Q. When will property be advertised in the paper, and if I have made payment arrangements will the property still be advertised?
A. Property is usually advertised in March or April of each year and will be advertised even if you have payment arrangements. Taxes must be paid in full to avoid any advertisement. Please pay in full by February 28 to avoid advertisement.

Q: What action is taken if I don't pay my taxes or make payment arrangements?
A: The following actions will be taken if your taxes are not paid:

  1. Garnishment of wages
  2. Bank attachment
  3. Seizure of vehicle
  4. Seizure of Income Tax Refund
  5. Foreclosure of property
  6. Other measures as allowed by law

Q: What if I sold the property and still receive a tax bill?
A: Tax bills are mailed January 1st to the owner. You should forward the tax bill to the new owner.

Q: What if I receive a tax bill, but my mortgage company is supposed to pay the taxes?
A: Forward the bill you received to your mortgage company.

Q. I sold my car. Can I get a refund on part of my taxes?
A. That depends on what was done with the license plate that was on the vehicle.

  • If you transferred the license plate from the vehicle that was sold to another vehicle, you are not due a refund. In this case, you will not be billed for the replacement vehicle until the license expires. 

  • If you sold the vehicle and turned the license plate in to DMV, then you can submit proof that the vehicle was sold and a copy of the receipt from DMV (Form FS20) to the Tax Department and part of your taxes will be adjusted and refunded. The refund will be based on the number of whole months left remaining on the registration before it expires.  

Q: If the vehicle does not run, do I still have to pay taxes?
A: Yes. If you do not tag the vehicle, it must be listed with the County Assessors Office.