Currituck County Currituck County Image

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: Where does the water come from?
A: The Currituck County mainland water supply is drawn from 28 shallow wells and 3 deep wells located in Maple, NC. The fresh water shallow wells are 50-140 feet deep and the deep brackish wells are 185' deep both well systems draw water from the Yorktown Aquifer.

Q: How is the water treated?
A: The fresh water shallow wells go through greensand filters for iron and manganese removal. The brackish water deep wells are run through reverse osmosis units and then these two waters are blended together and placed in ground storage tanks to be pumped to the water system.

Q: Is fluoride added to the water?
A: No. If you have questions or concerns about fluoride and your family’s dental health, please consult your dental health care provider.

Q: Should I buy a water softener?
A: The “softness” of water is a matter of personal preference. The blended water at the Mainland Water Plant has 45 mg/L or 3 grains of hardness and is considered ideal hardness.

Q: Is water ever rationed?
A: To date, we have not been required to institute any water rationing in times of drought. However, there may come a time in the future when rationing may become necessary if there is an unusual or sustained period of drought that affects our water supply, or if any other circumstances would require us to restrict water consumption. With this in mind, we urge our customers to use water as economically as possible to preserve supplies for the future. For some water saving tips, click here.


Q: How often am I billed?
A: All mainland water customers are billed once a month. Your bill date depends on where your property is located. Our bill cycles are as follows:

Cycle 1: Moyock (including the Newtown Sewer District) to Sligo, billed on the 1st of each month
Cycle 7, 10 and 11: Tulls Bay Colony (7), Wedgewood Lakes (10) and Eagle Creek/Moyock Commons/Currituck Commercial (11), billed on the 8th of each month
Cycle 3: Sligo to Coinjock Bridge, billed on the 15th of each month
Cycle 4,5 and 8: Coinjock Bridge south to the Wright Memorial Bridge, billed on the 22nd of each month

All bills are due on presentation and become past due 21 days thereafter. As you are billed at the same time each month, you are responsible for seeing that your bill is paid on time. If you have any questions about your billing date or due date, please contact the Water Department office.

Q: My due date isn’t convenient. Can I change it?
A: As our billing cycles are geographic in nature, we regret that we are unable to honor any requests for a change in bill date or due date.

Q: How do you calculate my water charges?
A: You are billed according to the number of gallons you use. The minimum usage is 2,000 gallons per month. For more detailed rate and fee schedule information, click here.

Q: My bill is higher than usual. What’s wrong?
A: There are many factors that can affect your bill amount…such as:

  1. Do you have a leak? This can include anything from a leaky flapper valve in your commode to a full-blown burst pipe. Click here for ways to check for leaks in your plumbing.
  2. Have you increased your water consumption? Watering lawns or gardens, washing driveways, sidewalks or vehicles, and out-of-town guests are some of the most common causes of voluntarily increased water consumption.
  3. Did you fill or top off your swimming pool? If you don’t have a pool, have the kids been playing with the sprinkler or garden hose to stay cool?

If you don’t have any problems with your plumbing and there are no other factors that may have affected your water consumption, the possibility exists that we may have accidentally overbilled you. If you think this is the case, please call us at once and we’ll research the matter.

Q: I had a pipe break, and my bill is enormous. Can you help me?
A: If you suffer a catastrophic leak, we may be able to provide some relief in the form of a leak adjustment credit; however, this credit will not reduce your bill to its normal amount. If you cannot pay the entire adjusted bill by its due date, we may offer you a payment arrangement, depending on the amount of the bill.

Q: Do you read the meters every month?
A: Yes, we do! Bills may be estimated if foul weather or other conditions prohibit regular meter reading. We may also estimate your bill if your meter is obstructed by overgrown grass or shrubbery, parked vehicles, fencing or gates. The Code of Ordinances requires that you keep your meter unobstructed and accessible to water department personnel at all times. If we encounter an obstruction that prohibits us from reading your meter or accessing it for service, we will notify you in writing and give you 30 days to clear the obstruction. If you do not act within 30 days, water department personnel will clear the obstruction and you will be charged for this service.

Q: I received a “Final Disconnection Notice.” What’s going on?
A: Disconnection notices are sent when a customer is past due on the previous month’s bill, and has been billed for a second month. For example, if you have not paid your December bill, a disconnection notice will be sent shortly after billing you again in January. If you have paid the past due amount and still receive a disconnection notice, please do the following before contacting us:

  • Contact your bank to verify that your check has cleared. If you paid via money order, you should have your money order traced to see if it has cleared. In either case, we will need the date your check or money order cleared in order to investigate the matter.
  • If you paid by cash, we will need to see your receipt.

If your payment has not cleared, it may have been lost or delayed in the mail. Rather than waiting to see if your payment reaches us before the cutoff date, you should bring your account up to date at once. If your payment does reach us at a later date, we will post it to your account and the resulting credit will apply toward your next bill.

IMPORTANT: If you receive a disconnection notice, you must pay the past due amount before the shutoff date indicated on the notice. We cannot honor requests for extensions.

Q: What are my payment options?
A: Payment is accepted by cash, check or money order, by mail or in person at our office. If your bank offers online bill payment services, you may set us up as a payee to have your bank send a check to us. Credit card and e-check payment along with direct draft service are also available.

Q: Do you offer discounts for pool filling?
A: As our water production costs do not decrease with increased usage, we regret that we are unable to offer discounts for pool filling.